URBAN RESOURCE INSTITUTE
Job Title: General Counsel
Job Classification: Full Time Exempt
Reports To: President
The Urban Resource Institute, a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization established in 1980, operates shelter, legal and job training programs for domestic violence victims, residential and vocational programs for individuals with developmental disabilities, and an outpatient chemical dependency clinic. With a $20 million annual budget and over 300 staff, the Urban Resource Institute promotes safety, justice, health and independence for vulnerable, poor individuals and families residing in New York City. The General Counsel is the organization’s chief legal advisor, responsible for overseeing the organization’s legal affairs, including its in-house corporate affairs, its government relations and policy initiatives, and its direct legal services program.
- Oversee and advise on matters of corporate governance, finance, contracts, insurance, risk management, real estate, and employment matters;
- Advise senior management and other staff on legal issues relating to programmatic affairs, including legislative and regulatory issues affecting the organization;
- Oversee organization’s internal policy development;
- Monitor and manage any litigation, including responding to subpoenas and working with outside counsel;
- Participate in the ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the senior management team;
- Serve as a liaison with community leaders, including government officials and administrators;
- Oversee the organization’s direct legal services program for domestic violence victims;
- Develop and oversee internship programs
- Oversee and develop relationships with pro bono attorneys ; and
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President.
- A minimum of 7 years of legal experience as a licensed attorney with admission to the New York State Bar;
- Senior managerial and executive experience, preferably in nonprofit, public policy or government;
- Strong legal, analytical, administrative, and written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse team;
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines; and
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues.
Commensurate with experience, excellent benefits package included.
Send resume with cover letter, resume and three references to Nathaniel Fields, President, via
e-mail to: email@example.com